Saturday, October 21, 2006

Reading list update

46. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It’s a novel about train circus life in the 1930’s. Fabulous. Read a real live review here, then go buy it, check it out, trade for it - however you get your hands on it, you’ll be glad you did. (cross-posted in regular blog)

47. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Story of a doctor in the 50's whose wife gives birth to twins - a healthy boy, and a girl with Down's Syndrome. He gives the girl away to be institutionalized - but tells his wife that the girl died. The nurse who helped deliver the babies, unable to leave the girl in an instituion, raises her instead. I enjoyed this book (though not as much as Water for Elephants).

48. Storky: How I Lost My Nickname and Won The Girl by Debra Garfinkle. I read this book because it was recommended for me on Amazon.com, and I usually enjoy their recommendations. I didn't realize until about halfway through that it's a Young Adult novel. Regardless, it was a funny story, and I thought it was a nice break from the heavier novels. It's the journal of a 14-year old high school freshman, dealing with his parent's divorce and a nerdy reputation. I liked it (check it out, don't buy it).

Out of the three, Elephants is a must-read. Absolutely.

No comments: