Thursday, May 18, 2006

21. The Pact by Jodi Picoult

I finished this book, The Pact by Jodi Picoult, a couple of weeks ago, actually, but forgot to post anything about it. Maybe I'm trying to forget it entirely. It wasn't a bad story; in fact, it was a rather compelling story. But from the first chapter to the very last word of the book, it was the heaviest, most sad story I've read in a long time, maybe ever.

The story revolves around two families, who are best friends, whose lives are so intertwined, they are like one big family. The women are best friends, the children are practically siblings. Then the two oldest children get older and fall in love - just the way their parents wanted it.

A phone call is received in the middle of the night, and both sets of parents find out that their children were found together, shot, in an apparent double-suicide attempt - she dies, he lives. It takes a while for the police to wade through the evidence - was it a botched double-suicide, or did he kill her?


There is no way to find happiness in the story. I wonder if Picoult wrote it this way on purpose? If you've read this one, I'm very curious to hear your views.

Next up, some chic lit from Marian Keyes. A much-needed break.

1 comment:

The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

I love the "next blog" feature of blogger! It's fun to just stumble upon what other people are writing.

I read this book several years ago so I forget my immediate reaction, but what has stayed with me is how secretive teenagers are about how they are feeling. It may be that their emotions are so overwhelming that they feel as if they are not understandable by their more reasoned and seemingly grounded parents. It's what I try to remember as my daughter heads into her teen years, the gravity of everything at that age and the sense that emotions are at times overpowering and not easily communicated.

Good choice going with a Marian Keyes on the heels of this one. She always puts a smile on my face. The worst part about a Keyes novel is saying goodbye to the characters when you're done.